Our Commitment

Advertising: Will be predominantly in the West Briton and the Cornwall Property Paper, as well as targeted advertising strategically placed throughout the local area.  We also use a prospective client database to enable properties to be let as quickly as possible, as well as our website www.kernowpropertyservices.co.uk, www.findaproperty.com and www.zoopla.co.uk, as well as additional leads via Rightmove.


Inventory: Is compiled and duplicated copies are made available to the tenant and KPS maintain a copy for future reference.  KPS also take digital Photographs as evidence of condition.  Please note that KPS will not undertake an inventory of any loft/attic space. Any items left in the property by the owner are done so at their own risk and KPS will not be held liable for any loss or damage to said items left by the owner.


Tenants: All potential tenants are interviewed and at this stage if they appear to be suitable, personal references and computer generated references are taken, this determines past addresses, county court judgements, credit references and salary checks over the past three years via an external referencing company. Providing references are good an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement can then be completed very quickly.


Subject to references rent guarantee is available and included in the first six months tenancy free of charge.


Security Deposits: Tenants are required to pay six weeks rent as a security deposit.  This is forwarded to the Deposit Protection Service as required by law.


Mortgages: If your property is subject to a mortgage it is your responsibility to ensure that you have informed your lender of your intention to let the property prior to any tenant taking possession so to ensure that conditions relating to that permission are adhered to.


Property Insurance: You must notify your insurers (both building and contents) of your intention to let the property, and maintain the policies up to date.  KPS accept no responsibility if you fail to do so. KPS can find a no obligation quote as many insurers will not insure rented property.


Gas Safety (Installations and Use) Regulations 1994: "It shall be the duty of any person who owns a gas appliance or any installation pipework installed in premises or any part of premises let by him to ensure that such appliance or installation pipework is maintained in a safe condition so as to prevent risk of injury to any person"


This concerns all gas appliances and flues and requires ’owners’ to ensure that all such appliances are installed by CORGI-registered contractors.  To conform ALL gas appliances and flues must be inspected and tested annually by a CORGI-registered contractor, and a record of such tests should be available. KPS can arrange this for you.

Furnished Property: Under the Furniture and Furnishings fire safety Regulations 1988, (amended 1993).  From 1st January 1997 only upholstered furniture that meets the current flammability requirements is legal for supply in let accommodation.  If there is uncertainty any furniture bought new from a legitimate retailer after 1st March 1990 is likely to meet the safety requirements.


Appliances in HMO properties must be PAT tested.


Unfurnished Property: It is usually necessary to leave all fitted carpets, a cooker is also often required. Additional items such as curtains can be included at the landlords discretion.


Periodic Inspection Report  (NICEIC – Electrical Safety Check): As yet this is not statute law, however Kernow Property Services recommends landlords carry out the initial assessment and act on its content,  as recently, a landlord was prosecuted when a tenant was injured as it was considered that ‘due diligence to protect the tenants’ had not been taken.


Subject to the initial findings the electrician will recommend future assessments every 3 or 5 years.


Fire Safety and HMO Properties: (Students or shared housing) - A formal Risk Assessment has to be carried out by a Qualified Fire Safety Officer.  It is then the responsibility of the landlord to act on its content with an agreed plan of work.


Each room has to be considered for its safety in relation to fire, as well as access routes to the exterior of the property.  The standard requirements involve a fire alarm system and regulation fire doors.


Energy Performance Certificate (EPC): From 6 April 2012, the law changed regarding EPC's.  As you may be aware, it is a legal requirement for all sales and rented properties to have an EPC carried out before they can be placed on the market.


The revised legislation states that an EPC must be obtained within 7 days of the start of the marketing.  There is an additional period of up to 28 days after the surveyor has been instructed if there is a reasonable cause for the delay, but NO viewings can be carried out until an EPC is issued.


Any marketing material, such as particulars and information on websites, must include the EPC, the only marketing exception being window displays.

IE8 Alert! Cookie Alert!

To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a modern web browser. More info